The Trillium Book Award shortlists are being greeted with cheers in the CanLit community this year, with a mix of book lovers' favourites and exciting new voices. Administered by Ontario Creates (formerly the Ontario Media Development Corporation), the Trillium Book Awards honuor excellence in Ontario literature. The main prize is a multi-genre award, open to any book by a writer at any point in their career, while the poetry award is open to nominations for a writer's first, second or third collection.
2019 Trillium Book Award nominees:
- Tamara Faith Berger for Queen Solomon (Coach House Books)
- Dionne Brand for The Blue Clerk (McClelland & Stewart)
- Claudia Dey for Heartbreaker (HarperAvenue/HarperCollins)
- K.D. Miller for Late Breaking (Biblioasis)
- Miriam Toews for Women Talking (Knopf Canada)
2019 Trillium Poetry Award nominees:
- Gwen Benaway for Holy Wild (Book*hug)
- Stevie Howell for I left nothing inside on purpose (McClelland & Stewart)
- Robin Richardson for Sit How You Want (Signal Editions/Vehicule Press)
The winners will be announced at an industry dinner June 13, 2019 with $20,000 for the Trillium Book Award winner and $10,000 for the Poetry Award winner. Readers can see the authors in person at a free event the day before (June 12, 2019) at the Toronto Reference Library, where all the nominated authors will be reading.
Congratulations to all the finalists!