The Trillium Book Awards announced their shortlist Tuesday.
Created to recognize exceptional English and French literature and poetry from Ontario, this year the prizes will feature a category for Poetry in French language, given out in rotating years with the award for Children's Literature in French language.
Recipients of the Trillium Book Award and the French-language Prix Trillium will each receive a cash prize of $20,000, with $2,500 being given to the book's publisher for promotion of the title. Those chosen to receive the English and French language Trillium Book Awards for Poetry will take home $10,000, with their publishers receiving a $2000 prize to aid in promotion.
Winners will be revealed online through Facebook on June 17.
Scroll down for a full list of nominees:
Trillium Book Award (English)
- Sister Language, Christina Baillie and Martha Baillie (Pedlar Press)
- Shut Up You’re Pretty, Téa Mutonji (VS. Books/Arsenal Pulp Press)
- I Become a Delight to My Enemies, Sara Peters (Strange Light/PRHC)
- Frying Plantain, Zalika Reid-Benta (Astoria/House of Anansi Press)
- Clyde Fans: A Picture Novel, Seth (Drawn & Quarterly)
Prix Trillium (French)
- Moi, Sam. Elle, Janis, Jean Boisjoli (Éditions David)
- ca,Claude Guilmain (Les Éditions L’Interligne)
- Mon père, Boudarel et moi,Aristote Kavungu (Les Éditions L’Interligne)
- Crevaison en corbillard, Paul Ruban (Flammarion Québec)
Trillium Book Award for Poetry (English)
- Unmeaningable, Roxanna Bennett (Gordon Hill Press)
- heft, Doyali Islam (McClelland & Stewart)
- These are not the potatoes of my youth, Matthew Walsh (Goose Lane Editions)
Trillium Book Award for Poetry (French)
- Fragments de ciels, Daniel Groleau Landry (Les Éditions L’Interligne)
- Premier quart, Véronique Sylvain (Prise de parole)