An always-anticipated event for fans and creators of KidLit, winners have been revealed for this year's Forest of Reading Awards.
Announced by the Ontario Library Association yesterday at a free virtual event hosted in partnership with CBC Books, the 2020 winners are:
- Blue Spruce Award™ Winner: That’s Not Hockey by Andrée Poulin and illustrated by Félix Girard (Annick Press)
- Silver Birch Express Award® Winner: Megabat by Anna Humphrey and illustrated by Kass Reich (Tundra Books)
- Silver Birch Fiction Award® Winner: The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane by Julia Nobel (Sourcebooks)
- Yellow Cedar Award: Too Young to Escape: A Vietnamese Girl Waits to be Reunited with Her Family by Van Ho and Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch (Pajama Press)
- Red Maple Award™ Winner: No Fixed Address by Susin Nielsen (Tundra Books)
- White Pine Award™ Winner: Sadie by Courtney Summers (St. Martin's Press)
Winners of the French-language Forest of Reading programs (Le prix Peuplier, Le prix Mélèze, and Le prix Tamarac) will be announced tomorrow, June 18, on their Curio stream.
Made up of ten programs organized by age group and reading level, over 100 nominated titles are considered every year. A jury of teachers and librarians create a list of ten nominated books per category, with a jury of young readers in each age group ultimately deciding the winners.
For more information on the Forest of Reading's many programs, visit the OLA's website.